Servings: 8 (or 6 big ones :)
- 3-4 chicken breasts, boneless/skinless, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 c. brown rice, cooked (or whatever 1 c. uncooked makes)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 can of mushrooms, drained (or 1 package of fresh sliced mushrooms)
- 1 tbsp jarred garlic
- 1 can of Campbell's low-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 c. milk (I used 1/2 the soup can)
- 1 c. fat-free or low-fat sour cream
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- salt and pepper (I like lots of fresh ground black pepper in this)
- 2 c. low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cook diced chicken and rice, if you aren't using leftovers.
- While they are cooking, dice carrots, celery and onion (mushrooms too, if using fresh). Cook the vegetables in a pan until they are soft. Add garlic and the canned mushrooms at the end and cook for about a minute.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the chicken, rice, vegetables, soup, sour cream, milk, dry mustard, s&p and 1 c. of the cheddar.
- Pour it into a large greased rectangular pan, like your lasagna pan. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for 20 mins if ingredients are already warm, 30-40 if cold.
I have a cold and had a hankering for creamy comfort food. I had chicken breasts thawed and the other ingredients are things I always have on hand. The KEY to this recipe is the dry mustard. It might sound crazy, but it doesn't make it taste mustardy at all, trust me, because I LOATHE mustard. It just gives it it a nice kick. Using all low-fat and fat-free ingredients, due to the vegetable content, this is a pretty light recipe too!
You could totally use leftover chicken or turkey too. I would keep the onion/carrot/celery veggie base, because it gives it a nice flavour, but you could definitely add chopped peppers, corn, broccoli, etc...