Friday, November 5, 2010

Spinach and Bruschetta Pasta

SPINACH AND BRUSCHETTA PASTA
Source: ME!

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp EVOO
  • 1 small red onion, sliced
  • 1 package of mushroom, sliced
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 jar of bruschetta mix (I used Classico Extra Garlic Bruschetta mix)
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 bag of fresh spinach
  • 1 pkg of chicken sausage, diced (I used Nature's Own Chicken spinach and garlic)
  • Whole wheat pasta

Directions:

1. Boil water and cook pasta as you make the sauce.

2. In a dutch oven, sautee the red onion in the EVOO until the union is soft and starting to brown. Add the mushrooms and cook until liquid is released.

3. Add/deglaze with the balsamic vinegar and stir continuously until the vinegar is mostly cooked off.

4. Add the bruschetta mix, diced tomatoes and sausage. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5-10 mins.

5. Cover the top in spinach. Put the cover back on the pot until the spinach is wilted and then stir it in. Repeat adding the spinach, wilting and stiring until the whole bag of spinach is wilted and stired in.

6. Serve over pasta with a dusting of parm cheese.

Comments:

I was planning on having pieorgies with spinach, mushroom and onion last night, but I didn't have enough pierogies for everyone. I was limited in the produce I had on hand and had a jar of bruscetta mix that had been in the cupboard FOREVER, so I came up with this! It was a really nice change from traditional sauce, cooks up much quicker and is nice and healthy. The bruschetta mix is already well seasoned, so I didn't have to add any additional spices. Also, you could probably do without the balsamic vinegar step, but I think this gave it a bit of kick.

This was a delicious, easy and healthy weeknight meal. I have been told this is being added to the meal rotation :)

No comments:

Post a Comment