Source: Inspired by Company's Coming: 30 Minute Weekday Meals
Serves: 6 large servings
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces and cooked
- 1 tbsp of oil (I used the oil of the sundried tomatoes for extra flavour)
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 pkg of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 10 sundried tomatoes, sliced (about 1/2-3/4 c.)
- 1 can of asparagus
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1/2 c. red wine
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Whisk the sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Put the quinoa on, following the instructions on the package.
- Cook the chicken in the skillet until browned on the outside and a tiny bit pink in the centre. Set aside.
- Heat the oil. Soften the red onion and add mushrooms after about 5 mins. When the mushrooms release their liquid and are soft, deglaze with the balsamic vinegar and cook stiring continuously until the vinegar cooks down.
- Add the sundried tomatoes, asparagus, sauce and chicken.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes and until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over quinoa and top with crumbled feta.
This was a big hit, especially for a quick week night meal. I was just kind of making it up as I went, so I was glad it turned out! The spices give this thick, hearty dish an interesting flavour. The original recipe called for spinach wilted in at the end instead of asparagus. I wanted to use up the asparagus, so I added it and cooked spinach as a side with some evoo and garlic. But, it would be great with spinach or even black olives (bleck, olives, one of the few foods I hate!) I can't wait to try this with ground lamb.