Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tomato Greek-y Tuscan-y Chicken over Quinoa

I am having a hard time appropriately naming this meal... it has a greek/tuscan flair to it, I suppose. The original recipe called for ground lamb, which I am dying to try. I added a bunch of veggies to this recipe that the original didn't call for for either, but I think the sauce makes a great base for anything!

Source: Inspired by Company's Coming: 30 Minute Weekday Meals
Serves: 6 large servings

Ingredients:
  • 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces and cooked
  • 1 tbsp of oil (I used the oil of the sundried tomatoes for extra flavour)
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced
  • 1 pkg of mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 10 sundried tomatoes, sliced (about 1/2-3/4 c.)
  • 1 can of asparagus
  • feta

Sauce:

  • 1 small can of tomato paste
  • 1/2 c. red wine
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1 tsp of dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • s&p

Instructions:

  1. Whisk the sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
  2. Put the quinoa on, following the instructions on the package.
  3. Cook the chicken in the skillet until browned on the outside and a tiny bit pink in the centre. Set aside.
  4. Heat the oil. Soften the red onion and add mushrooms after about 5 mins. When the mushrooms release their liquid and are soft, deglaze with the balsamic vinegar and cook stiring continuously until the vinegar cooks down.
  5. Add the sundried tomatoes, asparagus, sauce and chicken.
  6. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes and until the chicken is cooked through.
  7. Serve over quinoa and top with crumbled feta.

Comments:

This was a big hit, especially for a quick week night meal. I was just kind of making it up as I went, so I was glad it turned out! The spices give this thick, hearty dish an interesting flavour. The original recipe called for spinach wilted in at the end instead of asparagus. I wanted to use up the asparagus, so I added it and cooked spinach as a side with some evoo and garlic. But, it would be great with spinach or even black olives (bleck, olives, one of the few foods I hate!) I can't wait to try this with ground lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment