Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Maple Gravy Pork Chops

We have been buying a HUGE loin at Costco about once a month, which keeps us in pork for at least a meal a week.  As awesome as pulled pork is, I have been trying to cut some into chops and broaden our horizons a bit.

This was my inspiration:  http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/vermont_maple_syrup_pork_chops/

My chops were fairly thin, so I just did a stove-top method, but I am sure the oven-method for a thicker chop would be fab as well.  I doubled the sauce, because I had a haunch it would be delish and I would want some for our rice side dish.  I WAS RIGHT.  It was a little bit sour, a little bit sweet, a little bit spicy and a lot amazing.

Ingredients:
  • 4-6 pork chops
  • Olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, minced
  • 1/2 c. maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • salt & pepper to taste
Instructions:
  1. Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a bowl  (maple syrup to s&p).
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet or dutch oven.  Sear the pork chops on each side.  Set aside.
  3. Saute the onion in the skillet until browned and translucent.
  4. Add the sauce and bring to a boil.
  5. Add the pork chops back in to the pan.  If they are thick and your pan is oven proof, stick it in a 350 F pre-heated oven and bake for 20 mins.  If they are thinner, just keep the chops cooking in the bubbling sauce for about 10-15 mins on the stove top.
  6. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes, so you have something to dump the yummy extra sauce on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment