Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Best Ever Big Soft Ginger Cookies

I have been on a real baking kick lately. Over the past couple of years, I have learned to cook pretty well. I like the freedom of cooking, you can just toss things in to suit your fancy and it will likely turn out. Baking is a completely different beast and the discipline scares me. My sister (who is also a great cook) is an excellent baker, so in the true spirit of sibling rivalry, I have decided that if she can do it, so can I!

These cookies were fabulous. They reminded me of my grandmother and the times where she would let us have tea, before we were really old enough to be allowed tea, with her excellent soft ginger cookies. I have a feeling these will be an "heirloom" recipe.

BIG SOFT GINGER COOKIES
Source: Better Homes and Gardens, New Baking Book

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/4 c. flour
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 3/4 c. butter
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 c. molasses
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar

Directions:

1. In a medium bowl mix up the flour, spices and soda. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat butter with the mixer for 30 seconds. Beat in the sugar. Add the egg and molasses and beat well.
3. With a wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture. This part was tough, because it didn't seem like there was enough liquid for all that flour, but if you keep working it, it will mix in. It will be a bit crummy though.
4. Make 1 1/2 inch balls out of the dough. It takes about about a heaping tbsp for each ball. Roll the balls in the extra sugar and put on a cookie sheet with a good amount of space between them. I thought it was strange to sit them on the pan in balls, but they will flatten out.
5. Bake them on 350 F for 10 minutes. They will still feel soft and puffed when you take them out, but do not be alarmed (I know, you were freaking out), they should not be over cooked! Let them cool for a couple of minutes, until they fall and firm up a bit, then put them on a cooling wrack. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment