- 1/4 c. butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 c. shortening
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 c. buttermilk (I used 1 tbsp of vinegar and milk, set for 5 mins)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Grease 13x9x2 inch baking pan or 2 round layer cake pans.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices).
3. In a large mixing bowl beat butter and shortening on high for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla and beat.
4. Alternatively beat in milk and flour mixture at low speed until well combined.
5. Pour into pan(s). Bake 30-35 mins for round pans or 35-40 mins for rectangle pan and until wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 mins. Out of pan until well cooled and frost.
- 1/2 c. butter
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 3/4 -2 c. icing sugar
1. Melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Boil for 2 mins.
2. Remove from heat, cool to lukewarm. Stir or beat in icing sugar. Add more icing sugar or milk as needed.
The cake was delicious! Light and airy with just the right amount of spice. The icing was very tasty, although maybe just a shade sweet. I also got the consistency all wrong. I added WAY too much icing sugar too quickly, so got almost a fudge-like consistency and the icing was drying out fast as I was using it on the cake. Next time: less icing sugar and add it more slowly, really giving it time to thicken.