Serves: 6 large servings, 8 smaller servings
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1.5 c. chicken broth
- 1.5 c. skim milk
- 1.5 c. frozen peas
- 1 pkg baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 can of tuna, packed in water, drained
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- salt & lots of black pepper
- 1.5 c. shredded old cheddar (the older and sharper the better!)
- 4 c. whole wheat yolkless egg noodles
- Toppings: 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese, paprika, bread crumbs
- Boil the egg noodles until around 2 mins from done.
- In a dutch oven or large sauce pan, melt butter and cook onion until softened.
- Add the flour and coat onions, stiring continuously for about 1 min.
- Add the chicken broth and whisk in. Add the milk. Boil for 3 mins.
- Add the peas and mushrooms. Simmer for 7 mins until sauce starts to thicken slightly.
- Add the tuna, salt and pepper and dry mustard. Cook for 1 min, to heat tuna.
- Sprinkle in the shredded cheese 1/4 c. at a time, stirring continuously to melt cheese into the sauce.
- Stir in the egg noodles.
- Pour into a greased rectangular baking dish, like a lasagna pan. Top with parmesan cheese, paprika and bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 20-30 mins.
I served this with a side of asparagus, sauteed in evoo, s&p and garlic. We really enjoyed it as a nice, comfortable meal. It didn't have crazy ground-breaking flavors or anything, but it was a light version of an old favorite. Definitely beat boxed tuna helper!