Monday, January 7, 2013

Mexican Breakfast Skillet

For almost 10 years, I have eaten an english muffin, cheese and a fried egg for breakfast.  Shaking up my breakfast routine has probably been the hardest part of the South Beach Diet for me.  I have a feeling that adding this "carb" back into my menu a lot of days will likely be one of my first moves in Phase 2.

In the meantime, I have been making omelette's and breakfast skillet's the night before that I can heat up when I get to work.  The Mexican Breakfast Skillet is extremely filling and from running it through MyFitnessPal, I can see that it is quite low-calorie as well!


Ingredients:
  • 1/4 green pepper, diced
  • 1/4 red pepper, diced
  • Red onion to taste, diced
  • 1 large mushroom, diced
  • 1/4 c. black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 4 large raw shrimp, tail off and cut into 3
  • Mexican seasoning (I used Kirkland Sweet Mesquite)
  • 1 egg, 2 egg whites and a dash of milk, beaten
  • 2 tbsp shredded cheddar (1/2 oz.)
  • Salsa
  • Green onion

Directions:
  1. Sautée veggies, black beans and shrimp in the mexican seasoning until the veggies are softened and the shrimp is cooked and most of the liquid released is cooked off.
  2. Add the eggs and scramble.
  3. Top with shredded cheddar, salsa and green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment