- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. finely shredded, unpeeled zucchini or apple (I probably used at least twice this much, just shredded up a medium sized zucchini, as pictures above)
- 1/4 c. cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp. shredded lemon peel (I didn't use this, didn't have any on hand)
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Greas a loaf pan and set aside. I used two small loaf pans, which impacted my cooking time. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture; set aside.
2. In another mixing bowl combine egg, sugar, zucchini, oil and lemon peel. Add zucchini mixture all at once to dry mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in the nuts.
3. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake in a 350 F oven for 55-60 minutes for 1 loaf pan or 35-40 minutes for 2 loaf pans, or until wodden toothpick is clean. Cool on wrack, store overnight wrapped and slice.
This was my very first experience working with zuccini. Allegedly, when my mother was pregnant my parents ate a lot of zucchini. She also had hideous morning/all day sickness and therefore, for many years our house was completely void of zucchini. I just ate a piece, still warm and it was very good! Full of veggies and whole grains too :)